Papers documenting Bernstein's work in the Charlotte arts community (including the Charlotte Symphony, Bechtler Museum and Blumenthal Performing Arts Center), Shalom Park and its constituent organizations and the Charlotte law community. Contains correspondence, newspaper articles, deeds, awards, lectures, journals and printed works.
Records of an architectural firm founded in 1905 by Richard C. Biberstein (1859-1931), who had come to Charlotte in 1887. Contains job files and drawings for approximately 350 projects, primarily textile mills and villages in North Carolina and Virginia.
Approximately 1800 maps, the majority of which are in rolls, acquired from the City of Charlotte. The early history of many of Charlotte's neighborhoods can be studied through the maps. There are some maps which show tax assessments per lot, the names of the property owners, railroads, and highways.
Primarily narrative survey and research reports prepared to evaluate structures and sites for inclusion on the local register of historic places. Reports include information on present and former owners of the properties. Collection also includes brochures and other commission publications and clippings about the sites, the commission, and historic preservation.
This collection is consists of photographs and pamphlets from Charlotte's Redevelopment Commission (later called the Urban Redevelopment Department, which became Community Development, and lastly, Neighborhood Development.)
Primarily renderings, displays, and engineering drawings documenting the construction of the Tryon Street Pedestrian Mall in uptown Charlotte, dedicated in 1984. Also includes clippings, photographs, and a videocassette recording of a slide show "Visions in Transition."
Materials documenting the life and career of Earle Sumner Draper, a landscape architect who was involved in several development projects in Charlotte, including Eastover, Myers Park, and Queens Road West. Contains news clippings; biographical materials; and reports and a videotape regarding Draper's career by Charles E. Aguar, professor emeritus of the University of Georgia's School of Environmental Design.
Ferebee founded Ferebee, Walters and Associates in 1958 and built it into a successful multi-state architectural practice headquartered in Charlotte, NC now known as the FWA Group. He was very active in the American Institute of Architects, serving as President in 1973. This collection includes correspondence and organizational files for Ferebee, Walters and Associates, AIA minutes and agendas, College of Fellows nominations, UNC Charlotte College of Architecture accreditation files, Army Reserve speeches, and various awards and certificates.
Fourteen architectural drawings for a city-owned garage designed by Charles Christian Hook, the founder of the firm and Charlotte's first professional architect, and for an addition to the city's Health Department building by his son, Walter Hook.
Papers documenting the work of Michael Gallis and Associates in regional and urban planning. Includes planning proposals, reports, analyses, schematics, newspaper articles and magazines. Also contains some of Gallis' personal writings and biographical material.
The collection contains a large number of architectural drawings of buildings (residential, commercial, educational, professional, industrial and spiritual) that were built in the Charlotte, N.C. metrolina area from 1923 to the early 1970s
This collection is comprised primarily of engineering drawings for highway bridges. Includes both general and specific project designs. Includes a biographical sketch of Horner, and three volumes regarding engineering specifications and practices.
Papers of a UNC Charlotte professor and director of the Urban Institute, documenting his membership on the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission. Consists primarily of rezoning petitions and related papers but also includes minutes and agendas, subject files, and correspondence.
Papers relating to his services as a member of the Mecklenburg Board of County Commissioners (1972-74) and as the principal organizer and president of the Spirit Square Development Group (1975-82). Includes correspondence, campaign material, reports, and newspaper clippings.
Records of Mecklenburg County’s oldest and largest historical organization from its establishment in 1954. Includes minutes, programs, financial records, and information on historic preservation projects sponsored by the association
Blueprints of projects constructed by a Charlotte firm, which was established in 1856 by John Wilkes and sold to Carolina Steel Corporation in the 1960s. Includes drawings for residences and commercial buildings, primarily in the Charlotte area.
The Ralfe Mesrobian records document Mesrobian's architectural practice from the 1950s through the early years of the twenty-first century. The bulk of the collection derives from Mesrobian's own firm, founded in 1956. Mesrobian's practice focused on both residential and commercial buildings and undertook numerous projects for the K-Mart Corporation.
Series of reproductions of frameable pen-and-wash drawings of landmarks in Mecklenburg County, N.C., by artists Al Fincher, Gene M. Love, and E. Springs, issued by Mutual Savings and Loan Association, Charlotte, N.C., in 1966. Landmarks depicted include the Covenant Presbyterian Church, the American Doughboy Statue, the Mecklenburg County Courthouse, and Cedar Grove Plantation.
Primarily biographical material about a prominent Charlotte architect and advertising material relating to Odell Associates, Inc., the firm he founded in 1940. Also includes central area and cultural plans for Charlotte and Raleigh, a film documenting the opening of the Charlotte Coliseum/Ovens Auditorium complex in 1955, and a pictorial map of historic sites in Cabarrus County.
Items relating to a prominent Charlotte architect and to J. N. Pease Associates, the firm he founded in 1938. Includes drawings of Charlotte's Central High School, a transcript of an interview with Dean W. Colvard, and advertising brochures about the firm.
Records documenting the work of Pease Associates, an engineering and architecture firm founded in Charlotte, NC in 1938. Collection documents projects conducted in the Charlotte region and throughout North Carolina. Includes photographs, architectural drawings, slides, negatives, and printed material.
Primarily floor plans and photographs of homes and other buildings designed by an early Charlotte architect. Also includes biographical material, clippings, and a photocopy of a book describing Peeps's work.
The collection concerns Perzel's interest and work in the preservation of historic buildings in Charlotte, NC. Most of the collection consists of photographs of historic buildings and residences, and photos of street scenes of Charlotte in the early 20th century.
Records of a homeowners association established in 1975 to revitalize Plaza-Midwood, one of Charlotte's early streetcar suburbs. Includes subject files, minutes, financial materials, clippings, and photographs relating to the association's activities and information on the history of the neighborhood from 1914 to 1949.
Collection consists of reproductions of pen-and-wash drawings of historical landmarks in Mecklenburg County, N.C., by Teresa Beth Hough, issued by Rexham Corporation, Charlotte, N.C., in 1976. Landmarks depicted include the Berryhill House, the Robert Grier House, St. Mary's Chapel at the Thompson Orphanage, and St. Peter's Episcopal Church.
Seven architectural drawings of a theatre and office building commissioned by H. C. Alexander in 1936. Roy L. Goode named as contractor (1889-1964), Goode Construction Corp. listed on plans, Willard G. Rogers, architect, office at 103 S. Tryon.
This is a collection of architectural drawings and specifications produced between 1936 and 1978, and used by the Waddell Construction Company, of Charlotte, NC to build and renovate homes, schools, businesses and churches in Charlotte, Greenville, York County, Gaston County, NC.